Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Today is Tuesday of my first week back at school. I forgot how hard it is to get up when the sun isn't shining. I never wound up going to the Canine Companions for Independence because I was not feeling very good. Instead my family and I are going to go to the Guide Dogs campus in San Rafael, Ca this Saturday. We are going to be going on a tour of the campus as well as watching a dog graduation. This graduation is said to be a very tearful exchange of the dogs that have been trained from their current owner to the new blind owner. I saw one when I was very little but do not remember exactly what happens. The tour shows us around the campus, from the mother dogs that breed, to the dogs that are going to classes for more evasive training. The process for training a Guide Dog is something my parents have looked into a couple of times. My parents were considering getting a Guide Dog puppy to train. We would have the dog at our house to teach it basic commands and then bring it to the campus to receive more technical training. My parents decided that they would not be able to give the dog away because we would be too attached which is very true for me to say the least. Then my parents looked into a dog that would provide the puppies for the organization. When looking more into this option we were told that our "mom" dog would get breaded many times and her attitude may become possessive and not very family oriented. My parents decided that having a dog like that in a family with a child may not be such a good idea so we just stuck with a regular family dog. But anyhow I am excited to be able to visit the campus again to see if I would one day be able to train a Guide Dog just because I know it is a good dead even though I do know it would be hard to give away.

No comments:

Post a Comment