Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Deciding on My Project

It is the first week of the winter break for school and I am trying to decide what would be the best project to do for WISE. I would like to throw a carnival for the kids who are ill at Children's Hospital in Oakland. As of right now my mother is not 100% behind me on this undertaking. She says that this project will take a lot of time and dedication that I might not be able to devote. She does have a point because I do cheerleading and that takes a big chunk of my time. Along with this she says that I will also need to rely on others which is very true. I do not have enough hands to do everything that I will need to accomplish, especially the day of the event. My second option would be to train my golden retriever to be a hospital working dog. You may wonder why both of my choices deal with hospitals but I have a good reason to give back to them. First of all Children's Hosptial helped me along when I was having throat problems by removing my tonsils when I was in the third grade. Most recently I have come to have severe stomach aches that started when I was a freshman in high school, about three years ago and continue today. After being toppled over in pain and having to miss so much school as well as getting test after test run, everything came up negative. Of course I would want everything to come up negative but because it did, there was no answer. I was referred to Children's Hospital Oakland and was seen by the best, Dr. Gleghorn. She was the first to actually believe something was wrong with me and the pain was not in my head. She ran some more tests along with exploritory sugery. Again, nothing was found and everything came up negative. But she did have one inkling, maybe I had a digestive disease that about only 12% of the population has. The doctor started treating me with medicine that I slowly but surly was able to wean off of and started seeing results. My stomach aches now only happen once or twice every month and I now know how to prevent them not eating certain foods. Thanks to the wonderful care of the doctors and nurses at Children's Hospital I can finally get back to my everyday life. They are the reason why I want to help the other children in the hospital who aren't as lucky as me to be treated and just be kids. I am now ready to jump into the Kids Karnival or the hospital dog training head first so I can help these kids have a worry-free time, even for just a couple of minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment