Monday, December 28, 2009

Change of Passion

Although I am very passionate about giving back to the Children's Hospital and to all the patients, I am also very passionate about law. Whenever asked what I want to do when I grow up, I always respond, "I want to be a prosecutor". Normally people looked shocked when I would say that because it was such a big word and people didn't expect that to come out of my mouth. I have always grown up with law terms thrown around in my house becasue my Dad works in the field of law. I strongly believe in the prosecution side and I really want to help people in need. Today with my frustration of not being able to find a pet therapy program that I would be able to join I took a minute to read the newspaper. On the front page of the San Fransico Chronical there was an article titled, "Canine Comfort in the Court". As I started reading, it was about dogs being let into the court room to sooth young children and sometimes adults who needed to be comforted while testifying. It explains the benefits of having a dog let in the court room but also some of the objections by defense attorneys and judges. There is nothing in court procedures that says a dog is not allowed in the court room but because of that there is nothing saying a dog can be used during the trial. Becasue of that many judges choose not to let the therapy dogs in their court rooms becasue they do not want the case to be thrown out or appealed because of the animal. There was one line that particularly caught my eye in the article said by the senior deputy prosecutor in seattle who started the court house canine movement. She said, "One day, we'll have to make a compelling case why they (dogs) belong"(SF Chronical, A16). That is exactly what I want to do, I want to make that case. Now I know what my senior project is, and this time it's not changing.

To read this article here is the link:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/26/MNTM1B4S15.DTL

No comments:

Post a Comment